This self-combusting nature of the iPhone was described in a statement made by the regional airline from Australia, Regional Express. The statement stated that the iPhone of a passenger suddenly started emitting dense smoke with a red glow during a flight from Lismore to Sydney in Australia last Friday. The glow was extinguished by a flight attendant and none aboard were hurt. The incident has been reported by the airline to the Civil Aviation authorities, who even handed over the phone to them for being analyzed.
A spokesperson from Apple Inc said that the company was looking forward to working together with the aviation officials in having the incident investigated. Occasional reports have previously surfaced on the iPhone getting overheated, mainly while recharging the lithium-ion battery. Many consumer electronics have been forced to recall these batteries. Laptop batteries for Sony, Apple, Lenovo, Dell and other makers had to be recalled in 2006-07 following discovery that they overheated and could ignite.
Apple had, towards the beginning of the current month, recalled their 1st generation Nanos that they had sold in the period 2005-06, stating that they had come with faulty batteries from a particular supplier, which had the chance to overheat the device, though the chances of this happening were said to be rare.